|
HOME |
ABOUT |
ARCHIVE
|
||||
![]()
Hello there & welcome to my blog. Here you'll read tidbits about my daily life, some random thoughts, & maybe a rant here and there. I'm sure you'll learn something about me, if you don't know me of course. Down below are links to find me (personal accounts not posted). I hope you enjoyed your stay while listening to the songs I'm recently listening to. Come back & read again~ ^w^/
find me:
store instagram | shop ART: dA | tumblr | twitter | instagram recent update :
Credit:
: afeeqah azhar, 19 march, malaysian .+ follow | Email | twitter |
Inspiration & Motivation
written on Tuesday, October 4, 2016 @ 11:04 AM ✈
Currently catching up on my artist research for ANI 50. Gotta catch up because sketchbook check next week! I still feel guilty that I'm not putting as much time and effort (not like I have a lot of time to spare) that I would like into practicing & studying.
Here are some portions of interviews by some artists I've come upon, and I really like what they had to say. If you guys want to read more of the interviews, go here.
What advise would you give to an artist who is dealing with an art-block? How do you boost your imagination and keep yourself creative?
Stop comparing yourself to other artists, and be inspired rather than discouraged. I try to maintain a healthy balance of work and life experiences, which can be anything from traveling, trying new restaurants, watching movies, going dancing, or coffee shop sketching. I also continue to take classes, practice life drawing, and go plein-air painting. Stay motivated by surrounding yourself with people who share similar interests and goals in improving their art, which is helpful on those days you don't feel like waking up early to go painting! (Michelle Lin) I think an art-block is something that everyone goes though at some stage of their artistic life. I struggled myself with it a lot. During that time, I was seriously considering of quitting art. I think it came when I was at a point where I felt sad with my work. No matter how much I practiced, I never got better. It got worse when people or myself started comparing my artwork with others. It lowered my self-respect and I felt like there was no hope to escape from that feeling. It all changed after my concepts were approved and I saw for the first time the final version of some 3d models based on my artwork in a company. It really encouraged me to practice and worked harder. Once I got inspired to work again, I started to study and watch my favorite art and movies and I kept drawing and painting until I felt satisfied. (Yewon Park) DRAW DRAW DRAW! It really is the answer for everything! If you want to improve you have to draw anatomy, design, animation, illustration, expression, gesture, everything! The drawing way.. is the only way! (Nicola Sammarco) If you’re experiencing art block go out and draw from life or pick a few master paintings/drawings to do copies of. It’s a good way to keep yourself drawing without having to think about what you’re going to draw because you’re just drawing what is in front of you. If I ever feel like I can’t think of what to do, I know I need more reference material. As a professional artist you can’t go into work and say “I couldn’t think of anything”, so you need to learn to keep drawing no matter what. (Ann Marcellino) I report a funny sentence my friends heard from Marko Djurjevick during IFCC last May. " If you try to climb on a horse from the back it will kick you in your face and you'll die. There's only one way to climb on: from the side". Drawing is the main thing. If you want to become a good illustrator there's no shortcut, you must learn to draw. Another thing I found reassuring is knowing that everybody, also great pros, deals with artist-block! It helps me to say "Ok, don't panic, keep working". (Clarissa Corradin) Art block is something that I can't seem to shake off! When I am in an artistic slump, I try to just sit down and draw things I am familiar with. It helps boost up my moral and get my spirit working again, which helps me get back to work. Studying successful artist helps a ton! It doesn't take a lot of brain power and allows me to figure out how they are coming across something that I am having a hard time figuring out. Life drawing is very relaxing. (Naomi Romero) Concept art, animation, illustration, comics, there are lots of choices. When you’re young, sometimes you know only one thing: you love to draw. What should a young artist take into consideration to make the right decision when choosing an artistic path? I know everyone says this, but do what you love--seriously! And if you don't know what you love, take time to discover what that is. There also isn't one path to finding success. Everyone's path is different and sometimes people take longer to discover what they love to do. Our interests change all the time too, so what we find exciting right now might be replaced by a new passion a few years later. (Michelle Lin) Sure it's always drawing but the process and the industry can be different, indeed. What you need to take into consideration is whether you'll want to be alone at your table for months, or do you'll need to be in a team. Do you want to control everything or is it okay to be a small part in a pipeline? But the good news is, all these fields are not walled from one another. A lot of people do animation but also illustration and comics, for example. Young artists maybe should start by whatever attracts them and where there is the most opportunities, then see what they like or not. Life is for trying out! (Auérelie Neyret) I think it is great to experience diverse art fields when you are still young. Some of my friends come from other fields like transportation design or graphic design. Even if they didn’t major something related to animation or concept art, sometimes they have more ideas or skills in many unexpected way. Therefore, experiencing new fields has a lot of potential and can be even better than focusing on only one path. (Yewon Park) I think it’s important to follow the path of what you feel the strongest about, but don’t be afraid that you’ll be stuck there because professional artists often wear many different hats and change direction throughout the course of their career. When you get to art school (if you end up attending) it is important to stay focused on your portfolio for just one major, but nothing should stop you from making multiple portfolios when you get out or taking different jobs. (Ann Marcellino) Life drawing, life drawing, life drawing! I wish someone drilled this into my head when I was younger. Yes, it is boring to draw a bowl of fruit.. but it is necessary! It helps you learn form, shape, values, and more. Figure drawing is extremely helpful. Don't be afraid to study from artists that you admire. It helps you figure out many styles! Everything doesn't need to look perfect. Feel free to put your own unique spin on life drawing.. it makes it a lot more fun! Try to draw things in many different ways. There isn't one way to draw a bird. You can draw a parakeet in at least one thousand ways. I am sure they are millions! Lastly, remember that there will be bad drawings. If you are experimenting, studying, or trying to improve, you will start off with drawings that aren't your best. This is okay! This is expected! Keep practicing and it will train your brain to see better and to put the pieces together. You will get to the good drawings soon! Date you drawings so you can see improvement. (Naomi Romero) What are some of the things you have learned from other artists who you have worked with or whose work you have seen? To always draw, to take risks and not be afraid to fail. (Cline Deregnaucourt) Never get too attached to your work or ideas when working with clients! Your favorite idea may be the least favorite for your director. Remember.. you are envisioning THEIR ideas, not yours! Also, life drawing is so essential! It is like water to artists! (Naomi Romero) Did you go to an art school or are you self taught? How did you develop your skills? Both! I spent one year studying the basics of drawing in an art school in Lyon, named Emile Cohl. But I wasn't good enough at that time so I didn't make it to the next year. It was a very competitive school and I think it wasn't the good way to approaching it for me. Too much pressure gave me art blocks, so I wasn't making progress much. The funny thing is that when I left the school and I started drawing for fun again, without grades, I finally started to apply what I had been learning. I guess it depends on people, I personally need to explore and just draw for the sake of it to develop skills. So I just kept drawing, I took part into online challenges on forum and such, I shared my drawings asking for feedback.. I love learning while having fun, so I try to keep it up and question myself a lot, trying to improve all the time. (Aurélie Neyret) Many art teachers and schools suggest to their students that a commercial artist should always work in one consistent style if they wish to have a healthy career. In your own experience, do you believe this to be true? I beleve that artists should always be true to themselves. Of course, it is true that if you can be flexible with your style, you can get more jobs. I have always tried to adapt to any situation, but at the same time I have always tried to push a bit my style to my customers. The major studios need flexible artists, but at the same time they want unique artists in their field, and that's why it's not very easy to work for a major studio. In my opinion it is much easier to work as an independent cartoonist or illustrator. (Nicola Sammarco) I ended up quoting too much so I'll make it easier to finish this post haha ^^; Mainly these are for myself~ A few quotes seem to apply to other things, not necessarily just art. ~~ I'm just really grateful for everyone who's been so supportive and understanding of my struggles haha Of course, everyone has struggles, just at different degrees. I probably would've collapsed without encouragement :) Labels: artists, inspiration, motivation 0 comment[s] | back to top |
Inspiration & Motivation
written on Tuesday, October 4, 2016 @ 11:04 AM ✈
Currently catching up on my artist research for ANI 50. Gotta catch up because sketchbook check next week! I still feel guilty that I'm not putting as much time and effort (not like I have a lot of time to spare) that I would like into practicing & studying.
Here are some portions of interviews by some artists I've come upon, and I really like what they had to say. If you guys want to read more of the interviews, go here.
What advise would you give to an artist who is dealing with an art-block? How do you boost your imagination and keep yourself creative?
Stop comparing yourself to other artists, and be inspired rather than discouraged. I try to maintain a healthy balance of work and life experiences, which can be anything from traveling, trying new restaurants, watching movies, going dancing, or coffee shop sketching. I also continue to take classes, practice life drawing, and go plein-air painting. Stay motivated by surrounding yourself with people who share similar interests and goals in improving their art, which is helpful on those days you don't feel like waking up early to go painting! (Michelle Lin) I think an art-block is something that everyone goes though at some stage of their artistic life. I struggled myself with it a lot. During that time, I was seriously considering of quitting art. I think it came when I was at a point where I felt sad with my work. No matter how much I practiced, I never got better. It got worse when people or myself started comparing my artwork with others. It lowered my self-respect and I felt like there was no hope to escape from that feeling. It all changed after my concepts were approved and I saw for the first time the final version of some 3d models based on my artwork in a company. It really encouraged me to practice and worked harder. Once I got inspired to work again, I started to study and watch my favorite art and movies and I kept drawing and painting until I felt satisfied. (Yewon Park) DRAW DRAW DRAW! It really is the answer for everything! If you want to improve you have to draw anatomy, design, animation, illustration, expression, gesture, everything! The drawing way.. is the only way! (Nicola Sammarco) If you’re experiencing art block go out and draw from life or pick a few master paintings/drawings to do copies of. It’s a good way to keep yourself drawing without having to think about what you’re going to draw because you’re just drawing what is in front of you. If I ever feel like I can’t think of what to do, I know I need more reference material. As a professional artist you can’t go into work and say “I couldn’t think of anything”, so you need to learn to keep drawing no matter what. (Ann Marcellino) I report a funny sentence my friends heard from Marko Djurjevick during IFCC last May. " If you try to climb on a horse from the back it will kick you in your face and you'll die. There's only one way to climb on: from the side". Drawing is the main thing. If you want to become a good illustrator there's no shortcut, you must learn to draw. Another thing I found reassuring is knowing that everybody, also great pros, deals with artist-block! It helps me to say "Ok, don't panic, keep working". (Clarissa Corradin) Art block is something that I can't seem to shake off! When I am in an artistic slump, I try to just sit down and draw things I am familiar with. It helps boost up my moral and get my spirit working again, which helps me get back to work. Studying successful artist helps a ton! It doesn't take a lot of brain power and allows me to figure out how they are coming across something that I am having a hard time figuring out. Life drawing is very relaxing. (Naomi Romero) Concept art, animation, illustration, comics, there are lots of choices. When you’re young, sometimes you know only one thing: you love to draw. What should a young artist take into consideration to make the right decision when choosing an artistic path? I know everyone says this, but do what you love--seriously! And if you don't know what you love, take time to discover what that is. There also isn't one path to finding success. Everyone's path is different and sometimes people take longer to discover what they love to do. Our interests change all the time too, so what we find exciting right now might be replaced by a new passion a few years later. (Michelle Lin) Sure it's always drawing but the process and the industry can be different, indeed. What you need to take into consideration is whether you'll want to be alone at your table for months, or do you'll need to be in a team. Do you want to control everything or is it okay to be a small part in a pipeline? But the good news is, all these fields are not walled from one another. A lot of people do animation but also illustration and comics, for example. Young artists maybe should start by whatever attracts them and where there is the most opportunities, then see what they like or not. Life is for trying out! (Auérelie Neyret) I think it is great to experience diverse art fields when you are still young. Some of my friends come from other fields like transportation design or graphic design. Even if they didn’t major something related to animation or concept art, sometimes they have more ideas or skills in many unexpected way. Therefore, experiencing new fields has a lot of potential and can be even better than focusing on only one path. (Yewon Park) I think it’s important to follow the path of what you feel the strongest about, but don’t be afraid that you’ll be stuck there because professional artists often wear many different hats and change direction throughout the course of their career. When you get to art school (if you end up attending) it is important to stay focused on your portfolio for just one major, but nothing should stop you from making multiple portfolios when you get out or taking different jobs. (Ann Marcellino) Life drawing, life drawing, life drawing! I wish someone drilled this into my head when I was younger. Yes, it is boring to draw a bowl of fruit.. but it is necessary! It helps you learn form, shape, values, and more. Figure drawing is extremely helpful. Don't be afraid to study from artists that you admire. It helps you figure out many styles! Everything doesn't need to look perfect. Feel free to put your own unique spin on life drawing.. it makes it a lot more fun! Try to draw things in many different ways. There isn't one way to draw a bird. You can draw a parakeet in at least one thousand ways. I am sure they are millions! Lastly, remember that there will be bad drawings. If you are experimenting, studying, or trying to improve, you will start off with drawings that aren't your best. This is okay! This is expected! Keep practicing and it will train your brain to see better and to put the pieces together. You will get to the good drawings soon! Date you drawings so you can see improvement. (Naomi Romero) What are some of the things you have learned from other artists who you have worked with or whose work you have seen? To always draw, to take risks and not be afraid to fail. (Cline Deregnaucourt) Never get too attached to your work or ideas when working with clients! Your favorite idea may be the least favorite for your director. Remember.. you are envisioning THEIR ideas, not yours! Also, life drawing is so essential! It is like water to artists! (Naomi Romero) Did you go to an art school or are you self taught? How did you develop your skills? Both! I spent one year studying the basics of drawing in an art school in Lyon, named Emile Cohl. But I wasn't good enough at that time so I didn't make it to the next year. It was a very competitive school and I think it wasn't the good way to approaching it for me. Too much pressure gave me art blocks, so I wasn't making progress much. The funny thing is that when I left the school and I started drawing for fun again, without grades, I finally started to apply what I had been learning. I guess it depends on people, I personally need to explore and just draw for the sake of it to develop skills. So I just kept drawing, I took part into online challenges on forum and such, I shared my drawings asking for feedback.. I love learning while having fun, so I try to keep it up and question myself a lot, trying to improve all the time. (Aurélie Neyret) Many art teachers and schools suggest to their students that a commercial artist should always work in one consistent style if they wish to have a healthy career. In your own experience, do you believe this to be true? I beleve that artists should always be true to themselves. Of course, it is true that if you can be flexible with your style, you can get more jobs. I have always tried to adapt to any situation, but at the same time I have always tried to push a bit my style to my customers. The major studios need flexible artists, but at the same time they want unique artists in their field, and that's why it's not very easy to work for a major studio. In my opinion it is much easier to work as an independent cartoonist or illustrator. (Nicola Sammarco) I ended up quoting too much so I'll make it easier to finish this post haha ^^; Mainly these are for myself~ A few quotes seem to apply to other things, not necessarily just art. ~~ I'm just really grateful for everyone who's been so supportive and understanding of my struggles haha Of course, everyone has struggles, just at different degrees. I probably would've collapsed without encouragement :) Labels: artists, inspiration, motivation 0 comment[s] | back to top |
we live under the same sky
Sometimes I wonder how people see me and what they think of me. It scares me a bit, honestly. I am sure though, that what they think of me, what they think my life is, is a complete misperception. I have always tried to show myself as a carefree person, as someone who wont get bothered because of public judgements. I am sure my friend and family think there is nothing going wrong in my life, that I do not worry enough, that I am always happy. And I am sure they probably somewhat hate me for it because, lets admit it, there is nothing worse than seeing someone whose life seems so perfect while yours is a complete mess. Truth is, I have become an expert at pretending. I think we are all experts or at least we are getting there. I kept the image on the left bc it was kawaii-ne~ & this above bc I really liked what the creator wrote ^^
|
|

: afeeqah azhar, 19 march, malaysian .